To request service from MAC, click here
Already a MAC client?Click here for more information about the steps in the process
Click here for a complete description of IDCFS Closed File Information and Search Service 

A change in Illinois law allows adult adoptees to obtain a copy of their original birth certificate.

Adopted persons over 21 years of age who were born in Illinois may now request a copy of their own original birth certificate. If you are an adopted person, birth parent or family member of an adopted person or birth parent, it is important that you know how the new law affects you. For more information about requesting your original birth certificate or about your options as a birth parent, please call the Illinois Department of Public Health, Illinois Adoption Registry and Medical Information Exchange at 217-782-6553 or 877-323-5299 or on the IDPH website: http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/birth-death-other-records/adoption/iarmie.

If you are an adult adopted person born in Illinois

If you were adopted and were born in Illinois, you can request a copy of your original birth certificate. Nothing will be changed or removed from the original certificate. However, it is important to note that, in some cases, birth parent names and other information was not on the original certificate. In addition, the law allows either of your birth parents to request that their first name, last name, and/or last known address be removed from the copy of your birth certificate before it is given to you.

Birth parents of adopted persons born in Illinois

If you are the birth parent of an adopted person who was born in Illinois and adopted, your birth son or daughter is now able to request a copy of his original birth certificate. The certificate your birth child receives will include the information that you put on the birth certificate at the time of the birth, including your name and address at that time. If you do not wish to have your identifying information included on the copy of the original birth certificate released to your birth son or daughter you can complete a Birth Parent Preference Form indicating your wishes. If you complete and send in this form, none of your identifying information that you want to keep private will be released on the birth certificate as long as you are alive.

If you do not want to be contacted by your surrendered son or daughter, you can make your wishes known by signing up with the Illinois Adoption Registry and Medical Information Exchange and filing a Written Statement. However, your birth child will still receive a copy of his birth certificate, including all of the information that was included at the time of his birth.

By signing up with the IARME, you can also share medical background information, pictures, written correspondence and/or an interest in contact. If your birth son or daughter requests a copy of his or her original birth certificate after you have signed up with the Registry, he or she will be informed that you have sent in information for him. If your birth child signs up with the Registry, the information you sent in will be given to him.